Houston Criminal Defense Attorney J. L.Carpenter
J.L. Carpenter has worked both sides of the aisle, prosecuting and defending people facing criminal charges. In addition to gaining trial experience as a prosecutor, Attorney Carpenter has trained under highly skilled defense lawyers. In 2006, J.L. Carpenter worked alongside the Honorable Craig A. Washington in United States v. Tyrone Mapletoft Williams what became known as the truck driver case. In 2008, Lawyer Carpenter also assisted Attorney Chip B. Lewis in the State of Texas v. Timothy Shepherd a highly publicized murder trial in Harris County, Texas. What that means for you as a client is that she understands how the prosecution thinks, what they are likely to look for as evidence and in negotiating a plea bargain should the case not go to trial. It also means Attorney Carpenter has the respect of her colleagues in the court. They know they can trust her judgment and you can, too.
Areas of Practice
- Texas, 2000
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law, Houston, Texas, 1999 J.D.
- Honors: Law Review - Member and Editor
- University of Houston, Houston, Texas, 1997 B.S. Honors: Cum Laude
Honors and Awards
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Harris County Criminal Lawyer's Association Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation (HYLF) Fellow Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA) Member
- National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (NCDLA) Member